By Wayne Lee
Catching up where I left off last time...
So on to the next three jobs, we just went from one to the next with no rest between. I have been working six days a week plus getting the estimates done so we can line them up. Right now we are about five to six weeks booked. I think the last job we just got done with was in the top 10 for getting it right. We had to match a "gunstock" waxed floor with new flooring with poly super-matte. They are adding more flooring to the house, so they ripped out the carpet and let us do our thing. It took some time to get it right because no gunstock stain looked good out of the can, and I am color blind ... the homeowner helped me get the color right. That was a first for us—she said make it more this and less that, then add this to that. She was a huge help, and they like the color match. The only hard part was I had to resand one bedroom because the first stain just looked way off… so we got the stuff off the truck to get it right. It did get us behind this week, but you have got to make them happy.
We are working on a new pain now: a remodel job that the builder left a real task. The walls are built on brick, but they left half the brick on the inside and the plywood subfloor has huge gaps. We had to fill the gaps with concrete, then let that dry for a few weeks. Then the floor dips in the corner 5/8” with an old wall up ½”. As you know, you cannot fill in the low spot with Ardex for nail-down flooring. What to do? Well, I had to fill it with Ardex and glue down the flooring in that area. I know it is not right, but what more can you do? Now the floor is tight and flat, and the homeowner is 100% informed that we had to do it that way. The last 30 feet is over a slab, and we are gluing that down now.
Here is the stress with that glue-down part: the homeowner has MS and the flooring must be ADA-approved at all the doorways. The reducer will not hold over time unless we use tap-con screws to hold down. No big deal, right? Well, we hit rebar and had to adjust for all that ... It was just not going well. My bits were done as soon as we hit steel, plus I broke two bits on the task and like-to-never got them out. It was just not my day, and so what is the best thing to do? Stop, clean up and finish in the morning. I went to the store and got new bits, picked up some other stuff I need for the house and just went home to work on the blog.
Now, let’s get to the thing called life: The truck radiator went south with a big crack, part of our roof is in need of replacing—not small, not big—but my body does floors, not roofs. The hot water heater took a time out till I could fix it over the weekend (we have one upstairs and one down, so we were all downstairs showering now), I have got a tooth that may have to be pulled and the doctor said my cholesterol is off, so meds are in order. The good news is that my A1C is 7.2, and if you know what that is, you will say, “Good job, Wayne.” It is down from 10 over the years, and that was not easy with the whole working-man fast-food lunch idea. Now I pack a dinner bucket and watch what I eat real close. I told Bill with DuraSeal this week that I have been up and down so much that I think my up/down is wore out.
So, I think we are up to speed and remember: I would enjoy your stories, please take some time to jot down a few words so we can all share the love. Like I said in my recent post, it would be nice to know what is going on outside Northwest Tennessee.